Wednesday 9 March 2011

Getting on with it

I want my poster to be simplistic rather than over the top, going for the less is more approach. I plan to use the paper to communicate all of the information required without digital text. As it is a celebration of 100 years I want to concentrate on the milestone number which is 100. I could go down a different route of using colour or lots of paper scattered like confetti (obvious signs of celebrating) but I'm pretty keen on the simplistic approach myself, making use of negative space and shodows to create atmosphere.

My idea is based on creating shadows form paper-cut type. I am wanting the image cut out to require all the text needed so the images communicates through cut type rather than a grid of digital type. I have chose the most basic font reference (Ariel) just because it is clean, simplistic and easier for me to cut out to be honest. I also think with this idea it works well anyway.. In most of my ideas in my sketchbook my focus was on the '100' (just because I feel is the main point for communication and it is a big number), working out a way to position the rest of the text in or around the '100'.

The idea draws reference from the work by Rob Ryan and Peter Callesen (referred to earlier in blog), obviously no where near as intricate or illustrative as their work, more so I am adapting the cut-out technique to communicate and using shadows to suggest depth. I am quite happy with the progression of the idea I have my pieces ready cut so now I need to experiment with photography. I want to create a shadow but also include the actual piece used to cast the shadows, so I will have to play around with the lighting and find the best angle to achieve this. If this works well I can go on to develop the idea some more but if not I will have to use a different idea QUICKLY! So fingers crossed it works..

 

When making the pieces I came across a little problem where the letters positioned inside the 00's wouldn't be fixed together using this typeface, so I had to improvise by joining the letters together and I don't think it distracts from it as it provides a sturdiness so is necessary, and still easy to read. My images show a bit of development from digital to the hand cut piece to a quick shadow test.

No comments:

Post a Comment